Mercari is a Japan-based company with the mission of “creating value in a global marketplace where anyone can buy & sell.” Having continuously worked toward this goal since our founding in 2013, we are now transforming from a startup into a global player. While this transformation brings its own specific set of challenges, we believe that solving them one after another will allow us to fully achieve our mission. Are you interested in working together to take on these exciting challenges?
Mercari’s culture has been central to the company since our founding, with the three core values of Go Bold, All for One, and Be a Pro. In addition, the “Trust & Openness” value was introduced to embody our culture of mutual trust, where information remains transparent and rules are kept to a minimum. Regardless of how big Mercari gets, the culture will remain essential to achieving our mission and is evidenced throughout our organization.
- In order to break down the barriers that typically divide people in software development, we refer to everyone as software engineers. As a company, we believe all software engineers should use the most appropriate technology available, so we don’t limit people to particular roles or technology. This does not mean that we don’t believe in specialization, but we think that someone’s work should not be limited by their job title.
- Engineering Culture (https://engineering.mercari.com/en/culture)
- Technology Stack (https://engineering.mercari.com/en/technology-stack)
- We are looking for people that are interested in our services, mission, and values, and want to work where engineers can go bold, use the latest technology, make autonomous decisions, and take on challenges at a rapid pace.
- Developing, operating, making decisions when selecting technology, and continuous improvement of large-scale product codebases
- At least 3 years of experience in at least one of the following technical area:
- Backend: Design, development, and operation of APIs using Go, PHP, or Java
- Mobile: Development using Swift or Kotlin
- Machine Learning: ML modeling or development experience with ML systems
- Ability to design and develop with performance and scalability in mind
- Extensive knowledge of object-oriented software development, networking, memory management, and software testing
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate with multiple stakeholders
- Project management and/or team leadership
- Development and operation in a microservices architecture
- Knowledge of and experience with database (RDBMS, NoSQL), network, Linux server, surveillance system, logging, SLA, SLO, and system operation
- Cloud development experience (preferably GCP or AWS)
- Understanding of UI development
- OSS contribution experience / familiarity with the OSS community
- Please see this page (https://careers.mercari.com/job-categories/engineering)
- English: Business Level
- Japanese: Conversation Level (Optional)
Probationary period: First 3 months after joining the company. (During this period your contract conditions will be the same as that of a permanent employee.)
Smoking is prohibited within our offices
Mercari has introduced a work style policy called “Your Choice.” Each member is free to choose whether they want to work in the office or work fully remote. *Exceptions made for certain kinds of work.
Scheduled working hours: 10 AM – 7 PM
Currently, due to COVID-19 pandemic, we have introduced a full-flex system without core time to increase the choice of working hours and allow for more flexible working styles. (*does not apply to all positions)
Two days off per week (as well as national holidays, New Year’s break, etc.)
Paid leave, congratulatory and bereavement leave, relax days, sick leave
Annual salary paid in 12 monthly installments (including fixed overtime allowance)
Based on skills, experience, and abilities
Reviewed twice a year
Complete health and social insurance
Support systems, including those that benefit employee family members
Language learning support
*See this page for details.