Eliminate Crime. Build Community.
Flock Safety provides a public safety operating system that empowers private communities and law enforcement to work together to eliminate crime. We are committed to protecting human privacy and mitigating bias in policing with the development of best-in-class technology rooted in ethical design, which unites civilians and public servants in pursuit of a safer, more equitable society.
Our Safety-as-a-Service approach includes affordable devices powered by LTE and solar that can be installed anywhere. Our technology detects and captures objective details, decodes evidence in real-time and delivers investigative leads into the hands of those who matter.
While safety is a serious business, we are a supportive team that is optimizing the remote experience to create strong and fun relationships even when we are physically apart. Our flock of hard-working employees thrive in a positive and inclusive environment, where a bias towards action is rewarded. Flock Safety is headquartered in Atlanta and operates nationwide. We are well funded by Meritech Capital, Initialized Capital, YCombinator, Matrix Partners, BedRock Capital, and Founders Fund – and we’re scaling quickly.
About the opportunity
This role falls within our Device team, responsible for building our hardware products. DevOps engineers are responsible for maintaining the uptime of user-facing services and keeping Flock production systems running smoothly. They work with other engineers to ensure the system is capable of handling significant growth as we scale over time.
Some challenges you’ll tackle
- Make sure the system is running and in line with internal SLIs and SLOs
- Collaborate with Platform, Machine Learning, and Hardware teams on multifaceted projects that interact with our system
- Manage our cloud system infrastructure, keeping it performant and highly available – We process over 60M images daily in real time
- Learn our system. If a technology is out there, we probably touch it
- Working directly with Product to scope features into iterative efforts
- Assess new technologies as needed, balancing technical needs and business impact
- Refine our CI/CD process, improving the rate we can deliver new code to production in a reliable and efficient manner
- Collaborate on creating a robust monitoring platform for our services and their underlying infrastructure, aiming to alert on symptoms and not outages
- Be part of an on-call process to resolve availability incidents and work towards preventing these incidents from ever happening
- Use best practices when creating and managing AWS resources (e.g. security groups, VPCs)
- Manage containers and orchestration, using Docker and Kubernetes
- Love dealing with large growth data processing and desire to solve problems you have never seen before
- Motivated by taking an unknown problem, sinking your teeth in, and coming up with a plan of attack
- Have a strong desire to grow their role as well as have a direct influence on the growth of a young company
- Have a strong willingness to learn new things
- Always looking for new opportunities to automate away manual error-prone tasks
- Be interested in all aspects of the business, from direction to office space
- Be excited about working on a fast-paced, constantly evolving product
- Be able to crack a joke every now and then, even if you’re the only one who laughs
If you noticed, the above list says very little about specific coding skills. We believe the right person for this role is much more than a great engineer. But to get into the nitty gritty, currently our stack looks like:
- Kubernetes (we personally use EKS, but any form of Kubernetes experience is great!)
Nice to haves
- Experience with managing monitoring dashboards using tools like Grafana and Prometheus to create actionable alerts
- Experience in an SRE role with an understanding of monitoring, troubleshooting, and disaster recovery
- Proficiency with infrastructure as code and/or configuration management (we use Terraform)
- Familiarity with distributed tracing (e.g Jaeger, Zipkin)
Why join the Flock?
When you join the Flock, you are joining a diverse team of passionate, ambitious, intelligent people that put team over self. We offer competitive salary (commensurate with experience), equity in the company, take what you need vacation policy, and the opportunity to grow your career at a fast-paced, high growth mission-driven startup. We genuinely care about the well-being of our employees both in and out of the office and understand the importance of work/life balance. We’d love for you to join us in the fight to eliminate crime, one community at a time.